1/2 Photos of Philippines Monggo Beans and Pechay (Mung Beans and Bok Choi)
This is my favorite way to eat mung beans and bok choy. I think it's the ginger flavor that really makes it good to me. It's a Philippines dish that my Filipino friend and helper, Marina, makes for me often. Mung (Monggo) beans are extremely high in calcium and are also have a lot of iron and protein. Bok Choy (Pechay) also has a lot of calcium, iron, vitamin A, and a ton of vitamin C. So, this dish is really nutrient packed by these two items alone! Cooking time doesn't include time to cook mung beans. Tastes nice served over rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups mung beans, green cooked
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, chopped small (if you like a strong ginger flavor you can add more. I usually do.)
- 2 -3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 cups bok choy, fresh and chopped
- 1 cup vegetarian chicken broth (I use a few teaspoons of Mckays Vegan Chicken seasoning mixed with two cups water or you can use reg)
- salt (I use BRAGGS Liquid Aminos) or soy sauce, to taste (I use BRAGGS Liquid Aminos)
- 1Blend onion and 1/2 cup vegetarian broth in the blender (you can also add the ginger root if you don't want to chop it).
- 2In a large pan cook blended onion & broth mixture, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- 3Add the cooked green mung beans and remaining broth. Once it's begun to boil, add the pechay/bok choy and cook until it's smooth (between 4 to 8 minutes).
- 4Salt to taste. Tastes great served over cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Bok Choys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bok Choys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Philippines Monggo Beans and Pechay (Mung Beans and Bok Choi)
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.4
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 60.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian chicken broth