Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Kinda on the order of baked Brie appetizers. Just a little different. From the 1991 Sunset Annual Cookbook.
- 7 ounces petite gouda cheese (whole) or 7 ounces edam cheese (whole)
- 2 small plum tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) baguette, sliced and toasted
- Remove wax coating; carefully scoop out center of cheese leaving a 1/4" shell. Coarsely chop scooped-out cheese into small pieces and put in microwave safe bowl. Mix in tomatoes & basil.
- Cook cheese-tomato-basil mixture uncovered in microwave at 50% for 1 minute Stir and cook at 50% stirring every 20 seconds until cheese bubbles, 1-1/2 to 2 minute longer.
- Set shell on plate, surround with baguette slices. Pour hot cheese into shell.
- Cooking Tips:.
- Chili/Onion Version: tomatoes, 1 T. chopped green chilies, 1 chopped green onion, 1/4 tsp chili or cumin or both.
Took it to a party. Delicious when hot. When the cheese cools, you can spread it on the bread. Still just as good! Everyone loved it.