Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Vegetarian Times, November/December 2005.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 24 medium cremini mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 7 ounces soy sausage
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat oil in nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add mushroom stems, and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Break sausage into small pieces, add to skillet and brown 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer mixture to food processor and coarsely chop. Add breadcrumbs and pesto and pulse until just combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff mushrooms, slightly rounding tops.
- Arrange on an ungreased baking dish.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the dish, tightly cover with foil, and bake 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more until browned.
These were a huge hit! I didn't have pesto sauce on hand, so I just threw some fresh basil, salt, and a little less than 1/2 c olive oil into to mix. I'll definitely be experimenting with these--I think some roasted red pepper or even rehydrated hot chili peppers would give these a fun kick. Thanks!