Recipe by Susie D
This is an adopted recipe. The orginal poster said "This is perfect for parties, especially if you like cheese and crackers, and my favorite, pesto!"
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I'm not usually big on pesto but, after reading this recipe, I was intrigued, & rightly so ~ It makes for A VERY NICE TASTING APPETIZER! I particularly liked using the toasted pine nuts AND the fresh basil! Will be making this for several groups I host during the winter holidays! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for THE pillar in a lot of what goes on in Zaar, AND especially in Pick A Chef]
Cheese Mixture Ingredients
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh parsley sprigs, trimmed
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf, trimmed
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- crackers, thin or French bread, slices thin
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill 3-quart saucepan with 4 cups water.
- Bring to boil over high heat 4 to 5 minutes.
- Dip 3 cups parsley and basil into boiling water just until wilted about 30 seconds.
- Rinse with cold water. Drain well, squeezing out excess liquid.
- Chop wilted parsley and basil leaves.
- Combine wilted parsley and basil, provolone cheese, pine nuts, cream cheese, garlic and red pepper in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed 1 to 2 minutes.
- Shape into ball. Cover; refrigerate until firm at least 3 hours.
- Chop remaining parsley. Reshape ball, if necessary. Roll cheese ball in remaining chopped parsley to coat.
- Serve with crackers or thin French bread slices.