Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Something different to go with your Italian dinner in place of or in addition to, garlic bread. Especially good topped with hot pepper jelly.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup basil pesto
- 1⁄2 cup milk, approximately
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening and pesto, using a pastry blender or fork.
- Stil in enough milk so that dough leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface.
- Knead lightly, 10 times.
- Pat or roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with floured biscuit cutter.
- Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
This was a great change of pace in the bread department for us. I was pushed for time so I used good old Bisquick. Then I used equal amounts of basil pesto and sun dried tomato pesto. I was able to hide a couple for breakfast tomorrow and plan on serving them with the pepper jelly. This has gone into my *Keeper* folder and will be shared with the family.