Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dish is almost like a thick fish stew. Wonderful server over rice or alongside rice and beans. Would be great served alone as well as a low carb dish.
- Start by heating the 4 tbsp of oil in a large pot on medium high heat.
- Sprinkle each steak with salt and pepper and place them in the hot oil. As the fish is sauteing squeeze small amounts of lime juice onto each piece. This will keep the fish skin from becoming slimy during the cooking process.
- Once the fish has sauteed on one side for 4 minutes carefully turn each piece onto the other side and saute an additional 2 minutes. Continue until all sides have been cooked.
- Remove the fish onto a platter and set aside. Add the garlic, onions, and jalapenos into the oil that the fish cooked inches Saute the mixture for 5 minutes or until the onion has softened and translucent.
- Next, add the tomatoes and saute for an additional 5 minutes. Add the water and fish flavored bouillon cube. Cover and bring to a boil. Let the tomatoes boil for 10 minutes and then turn the heat down to medium low.
- Add the pieces of fish back into the pot and cover. Cook on medium low (low boil) for an additional 15 minutes. The dish is fully cooked once the fish flakes easily off of the bones.
- Note; If you love cilantro like I do you can dice up a handful and add it into the pot the last 2 minutes of cooking.