4 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Tah Cheen, means "arranged at the bottom of the pot" in Persian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash rice and soak it in warm water (with added salt) for 2 hours, then filter out the water.
- 2Chop onions thinly and fry in oil until slightly golden.
- 3Wash and cut chicken, remove skin, and fry in onions until color changes.
- 4Add some water and bring to boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer slowly until cooked, adding more water if needed, then remove the bones.
- 6While chicken is cooking, beat the yogurt until it is smooth.
- 7Dissolve saffron in half a cup of hot water.
- 8Add saffron, salt, pepper and egg yolks to the yogurt and mix very well.
- 9Pour a few glasses of water in a large pot and bring to boil.
- 10Pour in rice and cook while stirring occasionally until rice grows longer and slightly softens (Take care not to overcook the rice, it should still be too hard for eating); again filter out the water.
- 11Pour several spoons of oil and several spoons of the yogurt mix into a non-stick pot.
- 12Add a thin layer of rice and flatten using the back of a spoon; add a layer of chicken on top followed by another layer of rice, then flatten the rice.
- 13Spread several more spoons of the yogurt mix on the rice.
- 14Continue in this fashion until chicken, rice and the yogurt mix have been used up, then add some more oil on top.
- 15Put the lid on and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- 16Place the pot in an oven (preheated to 250 F) and cook for 1.
- 175 to 2 hours (Note that the longer Tah Chin is cooked, the thicker the Tah Dig- delicious crispy layer of rice at the bottom- will be).
- 18When cooked, remove the lid and let cool for a few minutes.
- 19Place an inverted large dish over the pot and turn it over.
- 20Tap the pot in order to loosen the contents inside (The contents should fall on the dish in one piece with the Tah Dig on the outside).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Persian Chicken - Tah Cheen
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 865.3
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 259.5 mg
- Sodium 183.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 44.8 g