Iranian Chicken With Turmeric, Saffron, and Lemon Juice
photo by Ang C.
- Ready In:
- 10 chicken drumsticks (you can use any chicken, but it is best made with chicken legs)
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon saffron mixed with water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- Rough chop the onion and place in a large pot.
- Add chicken on top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add turmeric.
- Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked all the way through. 10 minutes into the cooking, give the whole pot a stir to allow the turmeric to coat the chicken and onions.
- If you choose to use fresh lemon juice, squeeze your lemons now.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the pot and keep warm.
- Add saffron mixed with water and lemon juice to the water remaining in your pot. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- With a hand or regular blender, process the juice and onion until nice and smooth. Let reduce for a few minutes on low hear until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange your chicken in a platter and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve with Iranian polo (rice).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe calls for far too much saffron. I wonder if the author meant to write 1 tsp instead of 1 tbsp. The typical amount (even in Persian dishes) used for an entire chicken is a pinch (around 1 tsp). Since it's the most expensive spice in the world I thought I would caution anyone making this recipe that they could reduce the amount of saffron with equally good results.
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am an amateur cook and baker, but I love experimenting with new recipes and adapting them to my tastes, macros, and dietary preferences.</p> 8740141"