Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Susan Costner's Mostly Vegetables. I love fresh ginger in gingerbread.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup packed lightly brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- Preheat ove 350F Butter a 9 inch pan and line bottom with buttered wax or parchment paper. Dust with flour.
- Sift the first five ingredients [cayenne]
- Place the next 5 in microwave safe bowl. Cook in microwave, covered for 2 to 3 minutes on high or until butter is melted. Remove. Set aside.
- Whisk the last three ingredients together. Then whisk into butter mix. Then finally whisk in dry until batter is smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 35 minutes covering with foil for last 10. Should pass the toothpick test.
- Let rest 10 minutes before unmolding to wire rack.
- Serve warm.