Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This is Martha Stewart's very own recipe for fried chicken. You can cut the recipe in half if only using one chicken.
- 6 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt (only kosher salt regular salt is to salty)
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt (only kosher salt regular salt is to salty)
- 1⁄3 cup Tabasco sauce
- 2 (3 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces each
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons bacon drippings (optional)
- Combine the butter milk 1/4 cup of salt, and the Tabasco sauce in a air tight container. Add the chicken turning to coat the chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Combine flour, 5 teaspoons of salt, and the peppers in a paper bag. Shake to mix. One at a time, add the chicken pieces to the bag and coat with flour. Set coated pieces on a tray.
- Preheat shortening in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 375°F.
- Place the thighs and drumsticks in the grease. Fry until coating is dark golden on the bottom (10-14 minutes). Then using tongs turn the chicken over and cook until dark golden brown again (another 10 to 14 minutes). Drain on paper bag or several layers of paper towels.
- Transfer the cooked pieces to cookie sheet. Put in oven to keep warm while frying remaining chicken.
- Remove any bits and pieces left in the oil before frying rest of chicken in the same way.
This is only recipe I have ever use for fried chicken, and the only one I will ever use! It is exactly what I look for in fried chicken: tasty, crunchy crust and flavorful chicken.
I didnt' use the Cayenne pepper, but did use the Tabasco sauce and it was so Yummy. I was afraid at first the Tabasco sauce would make it hot, and that was not the case at all. My son hates spicy food and i was making it for him. It wasn't spicy, it was PERFECT. Thank you so much. Delicious!
I let this sit overnight. This was so good. Nice and crisp the way we like it. I let it stand in the frige after coating it in flour. Then before frying i coated it again. I only fried it about 5 minutes on each side, i finished the cooking in the oven for about 30 minutes. Great taste. thanks; Case