Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This applesauce freezes wonderful!
Top Review by louisedesalvo
Wonderful recipe! I used a dish as a lid over a glass bowl--don't like to use plastic. Used four apples, 1/8 cup water, juice of half a small lemon, no sugar, and put mixture through large holes of a strainer. (There are just the two of us). Plenty sweet. Love that you don't have to worry about scorching or babysit the pot.
- 4 golden delicious apples
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 3 -6 tablespoons sugar (or to taste add in more if you prefer sweeter, can use brown sugar if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Place apples in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Add in 1/4 cup water, cinnamon (start with 1/2 teaspoon) and nutmeg, if using; stir to combine.
- Cover with heavy microwave-safe plastic wrap (leave a little side opened to allow steam to escape).
- Microwave on HIGH power for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and stir the apples, then contine to microwave uncovered until apples are very tender (about 5-6 minutes longer).
- Using a large fork (I use a potato masher for this) coarsley mash apples to desired texture.
- Add in sugar to taste while the apples are still hot; mix well to combine.
- Bring to room temperature and then refrigerate for up to two days, or freeze in plastic freezer containers.