I confess to being turnip ignorant. It seems a shame to let a perfectly good vegetable go uneaten for lack of knowledge. Then I found this recipe in "Yamuna's Table", and I became a turnip convert. Try it and join me in having a new appreciation for this humble vegetable.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a large cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Pare the turnips and cut them into 2 1/2 x 1/2 inch sticks.
- Combine the spices, Parmesan and turnips in a large plastic bag.
- Seal and shake to coat.
- Spread the sticks in a single layer on the prepared pan and brush with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning once, until spears are tender and golden.
- Serve with or without a sprinkling of lime.