Top Review by Pug Lover
I found this recipe in my mom's Taste of Home cookbook. It's really good. I have made these 3 times, and each time they have turned out well. I found out that they are just as good as butter cookies (vanilla extract only), and I think they would be with almond extract as well.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half; add peppermint extract and red food coloring to one portion of dough.
- On a work surface roll out each portion of dough between wax paper into a 16x10 inch rectangle.
- Remove wax paper.
- Place red rectangle over plain rectangle; roll up tightly jelly roll style starting with the long side.
- Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan.