Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I wanted to thin out some of my cookbook collection so I decided to place some of my favorite recipes here. This is from the Amish Friends cookbook. This candy recipe contains a surprise ingredient . . . mashed potatoes. Note: This recipe won a first-place ribbon at the Malheur County Fair in Ontario, Oregon. It also won the grand prize in the candy division. Time to make does not include chill time.
- 1⁄2 cup warm mashed potatoes (mashed with milk only)
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 7 drops peppermint extract
- dark sweet chocolate, melted
- Beat first 4 ingredients until smooth. Add additional powdered sugar if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Shape into patties and freeze. Coat patties with melted chocolate while frozen.
Made these for Holiday Beverage Tag. A wonderful combination using the dark chocolate. One of my favorites. Of course you could use milk or semi-sweet chocolate too. Always a 5 star!!