Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- peppermint candy, finely crushed (I put them inside a paper bag and then use a rolling pin to crush them)
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Beat egg whites, peppermint extract and cream of tartar on high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, one tablespoonful at a time, while continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until meringues are firm and their bottoms are very lightly browned.
- Cool to wire rack.
Yum! These cookies are really yummy, however I also flubbed the meringue. I think I overbeat it. It was more the consistency of thick glue. However, I just poured teaspoonfuls on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie stone and topped them with the candy crumbs and they tasted great! The second batch did better than the first, so maybe preheating the stone would be a good idea. Thanks for the recipe!
These turned out to be so cute and yummy! I think I flubbed the meringue a bit (be sure to only add a tbsp of sugar at a time!! I think I kind of suffocated my meringue by accidentally dumping more sugar on at once than was called for.) The peppermint crumblies kind of melt and make this doppled, polka-dot effect. Wonderful!!
The first time I made these the meringue just lost its stiffness when I added the extract, so the second time I added everything else and waited till the last second to add the extract. That worked much better. I really liked the crushed candies on top-very pretty! These are melt in your mouth delicious!