Recipe by Nancy's Cookbook
Delicious white melt-in-your mouth candy, perfect for the Christmas/holiday season. A good way to use up a spare candy cane or two, and they make a perfect hostess gift wrapped in a decorative container.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 small candy canes, crushed (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a grinder, (or you can put in plastic zip bag and crush with meat cleaver) pulverize candy canes into "dust", or larger pieces. Use according to taste.
- In a large, deep mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until just foamy. Sprinkle with salt and cream of tartar mixture, and beat until soft peaks form.
- In a small bowl, mix the crushed candy cane in with the sugar and stir. Sprinkle sugar a little at a time into egg whites while beating on high, until very stiff peaks form. This takes from 5-8 minutes depending on your mixer. Either drop by teaspoonfuls, or decorator bag with star tip on parchment or ungreased foil lined pans.
- Bake at 225 degrees on lowest rack in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven, and leave candy in with the door ajar for at least another hour, or until completely cool.
- Store in airtight container. DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
- NOTE: I reserved a small amount of candy cane mix, and sprinkled over the top before putting in the oven. It gave a nice holiday look. (I used two-toned candy canes).