Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Startling but addictive. A crisp, not-too-sweet, but spicy cookie, particularly if you up the peppercorns and other spices. The dough is easy to work and makes a large quantity.
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns (a generous t. (or more)
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- Heat oven 375'.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream butter till it is pale yellow and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar and spices, then egg. And finally, gradually beat in flour.
- Knead dough on floured surface a few times. Divide it into 3 pieces and roll each piece to 1/8" thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place onto ungreased (or parchment-lined) baking sheet. Bake until edges are golden, about 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Addictive! Just the right amount of spice!
These are a family fav!!! I always add much more than 1 pinch cayenne! ;)