Recipe by Beatrice in Benton
This is my family's favorite bread to go with chili, soup or stew. I found this in a Betty Crocker book.
Top Review by puppitypup
We liked it! The bread has lots of flavor from the buttermilk and the pepper-jack cheese. It made a nice accompaniment to our soup. Thanks Beatrice, please see my rating system.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease the bottom of 9x5 inch loaf pan (bottom only) with vegetable shortening or cooking spray; set aside.
- Add flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a bowl; stir to mix ingredients.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir just until the mixture is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Loosen the bread from the pan by running a knife around the edges.
- Turn bread out onto a wire rack.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.