Cook1 hr 15 mins
From Martha Stewart. Suggested for Valentine's Day.
Make and share this Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon recipe from Food.com.
- Season filets very generously on both sides with salt and pepper (especially pepper), patting in firmly.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high. Cook filets until desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes per side (depending on thickness) for medium-rare.
- Remove strings from filets, and serve with Red Wine Sauce, if desired.
- Red Wine Sauce
- Makes 1/3 cup
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut up
- Coarse salt
- Place 1 cup red wine in a small saucepan; boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add 2 tablespoons cold cut-up butter, and swirl pan until butter is melted and sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Season with coarse salt; serve with Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon.
WOW, I can't believe this recipe has never been reviewed. What a shame...but, I'm going to share my experience, and hope that others will follow suit. I used a beautiful NY strip, as that is my steak preference, but followed the recipe as written. I did crush the peppercorns by folding them inside some wax paper, and smashing with the flat side of a meat mallet. I used a coarse sea salt, sparingly. After heating the oil in a cast iron skillet to between medium and medium high, I seared this for 8 minutes per side, and enjoyed the steak between medium and medium well. The crust was flavorful and and a terrific compliment to the buttery beef! And the accompanying red wine sauce was fabulous! Thanks for the sharing this recipe, which afforded me with a great Valentine's Day dinner!