Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Made this today. Am posting it because my "good" computer blew up and I am using the old Win 98 to get buy until they send me a working reinstall disk. Easy adjustment for those who eat meat. Base was the hoppin' john recipe from Giant Christmas lite section back in 1999.
Top Review by sugarpea
Delicious even without the cheese on top - I forgot to add it, darn. I cooked the black-eyed peas and rice separately and then combined and served them. Not sure how that second simmer of 10-15 minutes is accomplished since I had no liquid left after draining the peas as directed.
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups texmati and wild rice
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Italian tomatoes, diced
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap pea, fresh
- pepper, to taste
- fat-free cheddar cheese, grated or soy cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the peas or quick soak. Cook the black eyed peas to the rice, NOT including the rice which is the second step for approx one hour.
- Adjust the water if needed to keep the peas covered. Drain, remove the bay leaf. Set aside.
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Then combine the peas with them and mix gently. add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for until the peas are done or cook them first and add and then simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot with cheese on top.
- Note: If you eat meat add a bit of pork or ham.