Recipe by kiddoinky
This is a unique combination of flavors that I used just to mix the same old pasta dish up a little.
- 1⁄3 cup pistachio nut
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into thirds
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon jalepeno chili pepper flakes or 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast the nuts on a baking sheet for 5-7 minutes; cool, chop and set aside.
- Cook the asparagus in a stock pot in boiling salted water, uncovered, over medium high heat until tender, about 3 m inutes.
- Remove asapargus saving the water so the pasta can be prepared in the same pot.
- Saute garlic in butter in a saute pan over medium high heat, pressing the garlic with a wooden spoon to release its flavor. When the edges start to brown, remove and discard garlic.
- Add the asparagus and ground pepper.
- Increase the heat to high and pour in the wine, stirring for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Pour the half and half over asparagus mixture and simmer about 2 minutes. Season with salt; and jalepeno pepper flakes. Keep warm while boiling the pasta.
- Prepare penne according to directions (in asparagus water.)Drain and return to pot.
- Combine asparagus sauce with pasta, stirring over low heat.
- Add cheese, stirring until it melts; transfer to a platter.
- Garnish with pistachio nuts and serve immediately.