This is a unique combination of flavors that I used just to mix the same old pasta dish up a little.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup pistachio nut
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into thirds
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon jalepeno chili pepper flakes or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Toast the nuts on a baking sheet for 5-7 minutes; cool, chop and set aside.
- 3Cook the asparagus in a stock pot in boiling salted water, uncovered, over medium high heat until tender, about 3 m inutes.
- 4Remove asapargus saving the water so the pasta can be prepared in the same pot.
- 5Saute garlic in butter in a saute pan over medium high heat, pressing the garlic with a wooden spoon to release its flavor. When the edges start to brown, remove and discard garlic.
- 6Add the asparagus and ground pepper.
- 7Increase the heat to high and pour in the wine, stirring for about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium.
- 8Pour the half and half over asparagus mixture and simmer about 2 minutes. Season with salt; and jalepeno pepper flakes. Keep warm while boiling the pasta.
- 9Prepare penne according to directions (in asparagus water.)Drain and return to pot.
- 10Combine asparagus sauce with pasta, stirring over low heat.
- 11Add cheese, stirring until it melts; transfer to a platter.
- 12Garnish with pistachio nuts and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Pistachios, Asparagus, and Cream
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.2
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 469.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 7.7 g