A quick and healthy version of pesto that has quick clean up. This recipe came from the 2008 Jan/Feb Women's Health issue. (the author's name is Lidia Bastianich)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb penne rigate
- 1/2 lb roma tomato, ripe and sweet
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted almonds
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- 2While pasta cooks, rinse tomatoes and basil and pat dry. Cut tomatoes into large chunks.
- 3Place tomatoes in a blender/food processor, add basil, almonds, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt. Blend for 1 minute or until smooth.
- 4While machine still running, add olive oil in a steady steam (it will emulsify the mixture into a thick pesto).
- 5Scrape pesto into a large bowl. Drop drained pasta onto pesto and toss quickly to coat. Sprinkle on cheese and toss again.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Pesto and Fresh Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 501.2
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 248.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 15.0 g