Recipe by MrshMelloz
A quick and healthy version of pesto that has quick clean up. This recipe came from the 2008 Jan/Feb Women's Health issue. (the author's name is Lidia Bastianich)
- 3⁄4 lb penne rigate
- 1⁄2 lb roma tomato, ripe and sweet
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted almonds
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed and peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse sea salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta cooks, rinse tomatoes and basil and pat dry. Cut tomatoes into large chunks.
- Place tomatoes in a blender/food processor, add basil, almonds, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt. Blend for 1 minute or until smooth.
- While machine still running, add olive oil in a steady steam (it will emulsify the mixture into a thick pesto).
- Scrape pesto into a large bowl. Drop drained pasta onto pesto and toss quickly to coat. Sprinkle on cheese and toss again.