Recipe by GaylaJ
The fried capers add a nice unexpected touch--be sure to save the butter drained from them for another use, such as flavoring vegetables. I dipped some bread in it and that proved quite tasty, too. Watch the tuna closely---the chunks are easy to overcook, in which case they will be dry. -Adapted from License to Grill
Top Review by teresas
This is wonderful...I used albacore tuna...the flavors work great together...loved the fried capers...I'm going to keep that idea handy...I didn't grill my tuna just fried it in a cast iron pan...which I had used the leftover butter for that...next time...I agree...don't put cheese on this...it's great as is...I cut the recipe in half and also I cut back on the pasta...
- 1⁄3 cup capers
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tuna, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 12 ounces penne or 12 ounces other dry pasta, of your choice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the capers and butter and bring to a simmer; the pan should be big enough so the capers can move around and fry freely, which will take 10-12 minutes (they should be golden brown and crispy when they are finished).
- Drain off remaining butter and put the capers on a paper towel to drain.
- While the capers are cooking, thread the tuna chunks on skewers, brush with the vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the skewers on the grill over a medium-hot fire and cook for 3-4 minutes per side (to check for doneness cut into one of the chunks--it should be pink but not red in the center).
- Remove from grill and let cool until they are cool enough to slide off the skewers.
- In the meantime, bring 4 quarts of salted water to boil in a large pot over high heat; add the pasta, return to boil and cook for 8-10 minutes, until pasta is tender but not mushy.
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, grilled tuna and salt and pepper to taste; add capers, toss well, and serve.