Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Add Italian sausage and serve with a salad of spring greens and garlic bread as a main course or as a fresh side dish to any other main course. Either way, it is a delicious, fresh summery dish. Note: Please do not use canned tomatoes in this dish and do not over cook the cauliflower. The canned tomatoes turns the cauliflower into a very unappetizing pink color.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecorino cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium or large saute pan.
- Add garlic and cook gently until softened and a light golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until tomatoes begin to break down.
- Add cauliflower and stir well.
- Add 1/2 cup very hot water; bring to boil and lower heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes or until cauliflower is crisp-tender. (be careful not to over cook).
- While vegetables simmer, bring 6 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil.
- Add penne to the salted water and cook until al dente.
- Drain pasta and add to the pan of cauliflower and tomatoes.
- Stir in parsley and pepper to taste; toss over high heat for 1 minute.
- Serve topped with grated cheese.
Karen this is just plain delicious! My hubby doesn't eat veggies, but I am very happy making this for myself! The flavors go so well together, and even the leftovers are delicious. I have lost 40 lbs. and while I usually pass on the pasta, this was just too good to pass up. Thank you so much for making simple ingredients go so well together. This is definatley a keeper!