I was watching The Barefoot Contessa earlier this week, and she made this dish. The show was about preparing food ahead of time so that at dinner time, you have very little to do. When I went on the Web to get the recipe, it was nowhere to be found. Luckily, the show was repeated last night, so I was ready, pen in hand. The recipe below is exactly how it was described on the show; it looks delicious and I hope to try it soon. The amount given for the gorgonzola is a guess on my part, as it wasn't specified, nor was the type of cream specified (I'd use regular table cream). She also didn't specify how much basil she used, but it looked like about a quarter-cup. It was mentioned that no salt was needed, as the cheeses are salty enough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb penne
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes (from a can)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (or romano)
- 2 -4 tablespoons gorgonzola, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated fontina
- 1/4 lb mozzarella cheese (as fresh as possible)
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaf
- 6 teaspoons butter (approximate, butter is to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 500°F.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook penne for just 4 minutes (or until barely al dente, as it will cook more in the oven); drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, in a very large mixing bowl, combine the cream, crushed tomatoes, cheeses and basil.
- 4On the show, very fresh buffalo mozzarella was used, and it was cut into slices and then slivered (much like a julienne); I'm sure shredded mozzarella would work just fine.
- 5Add cooked, drained penne to sauce and stir well.
- 6On the show, individual shallow serving dishes were filled with the pasta; I'm sure this could be done in a shallow casserole dish too, such as a 13x9 pan.
- 7Either fill individual dishes with pasta, as above, or fill an entire shallow dish, then dot butter over surface in small pieces.
- 8Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes, until top is browned.
- 9On the show, the individual dishes were then refrigerated, uncovered, so that they could be reheated later in the evening; unfortunately, no information was given as to how the dish should be reheated (oven temp, time, etc) so, really, your guess is as good as mine.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With 5 Cheeses Ala Barefoot Contessa - Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 702.0
- Calories from Fat 374
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 138.1 mg
- Sodium 528.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: