1 hr 5 mins
Abby Girl's Note:
This recipe comes from a famous Vancouver restaurant chef/owner Ken Bogas. Alot of the prep work can be done ahead of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 hot Italian sausages
- 796 ml Italian tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup basil, coarsely chopped (loosely packed)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons carrots, finely trated
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 lb penne pasta (about 5 cups)
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Simmer sausages in water for about 5 minutes or until just cooked; let cool. Coarsely chop tomatoes on food processor.
- 2In large skillet, heat 2 T olive oil. Add basil, onion, garlic and carrots; saute until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- 3Cut sausages diagonally into thin slices. In small skillet, saute sausages in remaining 2 T olive oil until lightly browned. (make sure that the oil is very hot or the sausage will fall apart) Add mushrooms and saute until tender. Add mushrooms and sausages to tomato sauce; simmer 5 minutes.
- 4Cook pasta in large amount of boiling salted water until tender; drain and return to saucepan. Add sauce and toss. Serve with parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne W/ Spicy Sausage, Oyster Mushrooms, Basil and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 857.4
- Calories from Fat 459
- Total Fat 51.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 85.8 mg
- Sodium 840.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 24.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: