Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A casserole dish with penne, spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes (opt.) in a white sauce topped with breadcrumbs. A healthy crowd pleaser!
- 1 lb penne (or whatever pasta on hand)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, chopped cooked and drained
- fresh spinach, cooked until wilted drained
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (baby bellas taste nicer)
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- wheat germ
- white sauce
- 1⁄2-1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, or coat bottom of pan evenly with olive oil. Saute onions and garlic until onions start to become translucent.
- While your onions and garlic are cooking, start water to boil for your spinach.
- Add mushrooms to onions and garlic. Saute and season with your oregano, salt, and pepper. Cover and stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes or until mushrooms are done.
- Once mushrooms are done add the tomato if using, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add cooked spinach and mix.
- Start water for cooking your pasta if you haven't already. Boil pasta til al dente, drain.
- You can make your white sauce in a seperate saucepan, or do what i do and just start making it directly with the vegetables//Heat milk over med heat and whisk in flour. Add shredded cheese and stir occasionally until cheese is melted, then give your sauce a final whisk to make sure cheese is spread evenly throughout.
- Combine cooked pasta, vegetables and white sauce and transfer into a 13x9 casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs or wheat germ. Maybe a little paprika or a final dash of pepper.
- Cover and bake in oven @ 350 degrees for half an hour.
This turned out dry and bland. It just seemed like it "needed something". I may use it as a template in the future, but I will not make it again, as is.