I have a photocopy of this recipe. I believe it is originally from Cook's Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained and broken into chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon salt, for pasta water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- ground salt
- black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil in a large pot (for pasta).
- 2While water comes to a boil, heat the oil, about 1/2 of the garlic, red pepper flakes and capers in a 12-inch skillet, and stir frequently until mixture is fragrant and sizzling, but not browned, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3Add the wine and simmer for about 1 more minute; add the tuna and 2 teaspoons salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the tuna is heated through - about 1 minute.
- 4When water is boiling, add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta; cook until al dente and drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- 5Return the pasta to the pot and toss with the tuna mixture, the rest of the garlic, parsley, lemon zest, butter and reserved pasta water.
- 6Season with ground black pepper and salt to taste; top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- 7Serve immediately!
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne Pasta With Zesty Garlic-Lemon Tuna Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.7
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 3427.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 29.2 g