Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is delicious and great for dinner party...I prep the bacon ahead and cook this while friends watch excited to eat and loved that they saw me putting it together- they always leave with the recipe. Got this from my sister in law and never new it would taste so good.
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked as directed
- 1⁄2 cup reserved pasta water
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and cut up
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings, reserved
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
- 3⁄4 cup fresh shredded parmesan-romano cheese mix
- Fry bacon in deep fry pan.
- Drain off all but 4 tablespoons drippings.
- Keep bacon in pan and add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
- Stir in wine and scrape up any browned bits on pan.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, red pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta as box directs.
- Drain off all but 1/2 cup pasta water for reserve.
- Put pasta in serving bowl and pour sauce.
- Can add some reserve water if seems dry a teaspoon at a time.
- Mix in shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- I have served with italian links, a chef salad, fresh bread and wine of course!
We all agreed this is the best pasta dish we have had in a long time!!! The bacon really makes the sauce stand out. I made it exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. I am so happy to have found this recipe, Jellyko. Thanks for sharing.
This was really tasty. Ran out of fresh garlic, so I threw some powdered garlic in which seemed to work fine. Next time, I might save some crumbled bacon for the top. The bacon looses its crispiness in the sauce. It might be nice to toss some on the top right before serving.
Can't wait to try this..sounds even better with the las item...yummers!!!