Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Penne with a little zing from the crushed red pepper.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper, crushed
- 24 ounces fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 lb penne pasta (freshly cooked)
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add chopped onions, chopped garlic and crushed red pepper and sauté until onions begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato and tomato paste and stir until tomatoes are just warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in balsamic vinegar; bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add cooked pasta, 1 cup of Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil.
- Add salt and toss.
- Transfer to another large bowl and serve with remaining Parmesan cheese.
This is very good, however I do recommend using less basil as it was very overpowering .. thanks