1/4 Photos of Pecan Raisin Rye
This bread makes awesome toast, and is also great bread to serve with strong cheese and fruit. From KAF
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2Make the biga by stirring together the yeast, flour, and water. The dough will be very stiff and dry. Place it in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and let it rest at room temperature overnight.
- 4Next day, combine the biga with the remaining ingredients (except the pecans and fruit) in a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of an electric mixer, mixing to form a shaggy, sticky dough. Knead the dough until smooth (even though it's smooth, it'll still be very sticky), then place it in a lightly greased bowl and let it rest for 1 hour; it will become quite puffy, though it may not double in bulk.
- 5Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, gently deflate it, and knead in the nuts and fruit. Shape the dough into a slightly flattened ball and place it on a greased sheet pan, or into a greased 9" round cake pan. Cover the pan with a proof cover or some lightly greased plastic wrap. Let the loaf rise for about 90 minutes or until puffy. PREFERRED 2nd RISE METHOD: For the second rise, let rise for 1 hour then put into the refrigerator and bake the next day or so. The bread gets better texture and taste from a slow cool rise. (The prep time follows the Preferred Method.).
- 6Preheat the oven to 350°F Bake the bread for about 50 to 55 minutes (tenting it lightly for the final 15 minutes), until its interior registers 190°F to 195°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove the bread from the oven and cool it on rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pecan Raisin Rye
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 196.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: