Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe makes wonderfully soft butternut flavoured rolls with brown sugar and pecan nut filling, topped with cinnamon and pecan icing. You can swop out the butternut for sweet potato or pumpkin for an alternative flavoured bun.
- 295.73 ml warm milk (300ml)
- 236.59 ml cooked mashed butternut squash (alternatively Sweet Potato or Pumpkin)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 3.69 ml salt
- 946.36 ml bread flour (580g)
- 9.85 ml active dry yeast
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 118.29 ml butter, to spread on rolled out dough (120ml)
- 118.29 ml finely chopped pecan nuts
- 118.29 ml tightly packed brown sugar
- 19.71 ml ground cinnamon
- 473.18 ml icing sugar
- 59.14 ml finely chopped pecan nuts
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- hot water, to make a liquid icing
- Method for Buns:.
- 1. Place flour, sugar, cinnamon, yeast, salt and butter in the pan of your bread machine.
- 2. Mix milk, butternut and eggs together and pour this on top of dry ingredients and butter already in your bread machine pan.
- 3. Select the dough cycle of your machine according to your manufacturer's directions (about 2hours), (alternatively you can mix by hand, kneading and allowing time to rise).
- 4. When cycle is complete, remove dough to a lightly floured board and punch down.
- 5. Line a baking tray about 9 x 12 x 2 with butter.
- 6. Mix together the dry ingredients for the filling (pecan nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon) and put to one side.
- 7. Roll the dough out to form a rectangle about 18 x 12 inch's.
- 8. Spread the 120ml of butter from the filling evenly on the one side of the rolled out dough.
- 9. Evenly spread the filling ingredients (pecan nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon) over the buttered dough rectangle and roll up from the shortest side to make a cylinder of rolled up dough.
- 10. Divide the rolled up dough by cutting it into 12 equal pieces and place these in the baking sheet 3 rows of 4. .
- 11. Now cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 40mins to 1 hour).
- 12. Bake at 160°C or 350°F for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 13. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 mins before topping with the icing.
- Method for Icing:.
- 1. In a bowl mix together the icing sugar, finely chopped pecan nuts and ground cinnamon and pour in a few teaspoons of warm boiled water to get a stiff liquid consistency.
- 2. Pour a tablespoon of the icing liquid on top of each bun and allow it to cool and the icing to set.
- 3.Enjoy with a cuppa.
This was a very nice variation on regular cinnamon buns and I can't help but feel the additional nutrition provided by the pumpkin is a good thing. A great way to get some additional vitamin A into your picky eaters. :-)