Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are a great cookie. They are not too sweet like many other recipes. They are totally addictive. The yield really depends on how small they are cut - I recommend bite size pieces.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsifted flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 ounces pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Beat 1/3 cup butter with 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; beat in egg. Stir in flour, mixing well, until a soft dough forms; spread evenly into a lightly greases 9x9x2-inch baking pan (dough will be thin).
- Bake in a 375F oven for 12 minutes or until dough begins to firm up but is not fully cooked. Remove pan to wire rack. Lower oven temperature to 350°F
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a medium-size saucepan. Add brown sugar, the 3 Tbsp sugar and honey. Bring to boiling; boil rapidly 2-1/2 minutes (it will be caramel colored and thick). Carefully add cream and bring back to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in pecans. Spread mixture evenly over cookie dough.
- Bake in 350F oven for 25 minutes, or until pecan mixture is bubbly and begins to set. Remove to wire rack; cool completely. Pecan topping will become firm upon cooling. Cut into 8 lengthwise strips and 9 diagonal strips to make diamond-shaped cookies.