Prep 30 mins
Cook 16 mins
From Southern Living.
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 (6 ounce) catfish fillets
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, cut into pieces
- Combine the milk and hot sauce in a shallow dish; add catfish.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours; turn occasionally.
- Remove catfish from milk mixture; whisk egg into milk mixture until well blended.
- In another shallow dish, combine 3/4 cup flour and next 3 ingredients; dredge catfish in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Dip catfish in egg mixture; coat with pecans.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a dutch oven; heat to 360°.
- Fry catfish 3 minutes on each side or until it flakes with a fork.
- Drain fish fillets on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a saucepan, bring wine, whipping cream, and lemon juice to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in 1 tablespoon flour and garlic powder; simmer, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter.
- Place fillets on individual plates and serve with sauce.