Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From a recipe book on 18th century frontier outpost recipes
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 10 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 ham bone
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, with leaves (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Pick over peas and soak overnight.
- Drain; add remaining ingredients, except seasonings.
- Simmer 3 to 4 hours or until soft. (note if using a crock pot you can cook this on high about 4 to 6 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours).
- Remove bone and celery, rub through a sieve and season. If soup is too thick add boiling water.
Nice flavor from the ham bone. I've never added beer to soup before but that was even good. It just had a little to much water in it for me. I used 8 cups of water and did not soak the peas. Maybe 6 cups would have been better for me. For the inquiry mind, 2 cups dried split peas is equal to a 16 ounce bag. Made for *Zaar Tag* game 2007