Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A spectacular dessert that is delicious and easy. From "Dishy Desserts".
- 4 pears, firm
- 2 tablespoons honey, heaped
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon saffron strand
- Peel the pears leaving stems in tact.
- Put the honey and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan (one into which the pears will fit snugly) and place over a moderate heat.
- Stir until the honey has melted then add the water and spices.
- Keep stirring until the liquid comes to a boil, then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the pears to the liquid and simmer for 20 minutes, turning carefully halfway through and basting pears regularly with the sauce.
- Leave pears to cool in the syrup before serving.