Prep 15 mins
Cook 14 mins
The dough is formed into a large slab, chilled and then sliced into uniform smaller slabs for baking. You can vary the preferred thickness of your cookies. Cooled dough slices easily, but frozen dough has a tendency to crumble.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped lightly salted peanuts
- Sift the flour and baking soda into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and peanut butter just to blend them together.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing.
- Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat until smoothly blended, about 30 seconds.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until thoroughly blended, about 1 minute.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture, mixing just until it is incorporated.
- Form the dough into a rough 5x3x2 1/2" rectangular slab.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to firm the dough slightly.about 30 minutes.
- Shape the rectangle again and rewrap it (this makes the shape more defined).
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours, or overnight, until it is cold and firm.or wrap it tightly and freeze for up to 1 month, thaw in the refrigerator before using.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the cold dough.
- Use a large sharp knife to cut the dough into 15 1/3" thick slices.and place the cookies 3" apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- sprinkle about 1 tbsp of the chopped peanuts evenly over the top of each cookie, and press the peanuts gently but firmly into the dough.
- This pressing will make the cookies spread about an additional 1/2".
- Bake one sheet at a time until the edges and bottoms are lightly browned, about 14 minutes.
- Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve them at room temperature.
- The cookies can be stored in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days.