Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From a blog - the blogger attributed it to "Off the Eaten Path" cookbook. I made my own sugar cookie dough. Time does not include 3 hours chilling time or warming to room temperature before serving.
- 1 (16 1/2 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Press cookie dough into a greased 9" pie pan to make a crust.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool.
- Mix peanut butter, water, 2 Tbsp melted butter, vanilla, and one cup powdered sugar until smooth, using an electric mixer.
- Stir in additional 2 cups of powdered sugar. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Press the peanut butter mixture into the crust.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in microwave until about 1/2 melted, then add chocolate chips and microwave until almost melted. Stir until smooth. (Don't burn the chocolate!).
- Pour chocolate mixture over peanut butter mixture, spreading to edges.
- Chill 3 hours.
- Cuts better if warmed to room temperature.
This is a very fudge-like type of pie. I suggest reducing the confectioner's sugar by 1/2 cup at first and then adding bit by bit until you get the texture you'd like as mine ended up a bit dry. The chocolate covering became a hard glaze which lifted a bit from the peanut butter layer when cutting. It has a nice sweet flavor. Based on the title it is like a peanut butter cup in texture and sweetness.