Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe by Maida Heatter. Instructions may seem lengthy, but she is very specific and they go pretty fast!
Peanut butter cup brownies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 24 miniature peanut butter cups
Milk chocolate sauce
- 8 ounces milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- Make the brownies:.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil so that the foil extends 2 inches beyond the two long sides of the pan.
- Lightly butter the bottom and sides of the foil-lined pan.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the top of a large double boiler over hot water on moderate heat, or in a 4 to 6 cup heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Stir occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are melted.
- Cool until tepid.
- In a medium bowl, using a wire whisk, beat the eggs until foamy.
- Add the sugar and beat until blended.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and salt until well combined.
- Scrape half the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Arrange the peanut butter cups evenly over the batter, in four rows of six cups each. Press down lightly on each cup.
- Pour the remaining batter into the pan, and carefully spread level over the peanut butter cups.
- Bake the brownies for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool the brownies completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
- Using the two ends of the foil as handles, lift the brownies out of the pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- Make the milk chocolate sauce:.
- Do not make the sauce until the brownies have chilled.
- Place the milk chocolate in a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade.
- Process for 10 to 20 seconds, until finely chopped.
- Transfer the chocolate to a medium bowl. Pour the boiling water over the chocolate. Let the mixture stand for 30 seconds, to melt the chocolate.
- Gently whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the brownies and invert onto a cutting board or large plate.
- Carefully peel off the foil.
- Reinvert the brownies onto a smooth surface and cut evenly into 24 squares, so that each brownie has one peanut butter cup in its center.
- To serve, place one brownie on each dessert plate, top with some of the milk chocolate sauce, and sprinkle with some of the chopped peanuts.