Recipe by HappyMommy1422
I'll confess I haven't made this recipe yet, but I wanted to submit it before I lost the newspaper clipping. The article attributed this recipe to "Cooking for Comfort" by Marian Burros. Cooking times are approximates.
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, minus 1 tablespoon sugar,plus
- additional sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate
- 1 pint heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oven racks near middle position.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using electric mixer, cream together peanut butter and butter.
- Add 1 1/2 cups minus 1 tablespoon sugar and cream 20 seconds on medium speed.
- Scrape bowl and mix 30 seconds more.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add to peanut butter mixture all at once.
- Mix until blended.
- Stir in peanuts.
- Scoop dough onto ungreased baking sheets; there should be 9 cookies per sheet.
- You will need 3 sheets.
- On each cookie, press down lightly with large fork in 2 directions to make cross, flattening dough slightly.
- Sprinkle each with about 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake 7-9 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheets.
- Cookies will be very soft, but as they cool they will firm up somewhat, though they will still be soft.
- Remove cookies from sheets when cool and fill with ganache.
- Spread ganache evenly over bottom side of 12 cookies.
- Top with remaining 12 cookies.
- To make ganache:.
- Break 1 pound bittersweet chocolate into small pieces and process in food processor fitted with metal blade until finely ground.
- Heat 1 pint heavy whipping cream to boiling point on medium-high heat.
- With motor running, pour cream into feed tube of processor; process until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Place in bowl and cool.
- Refrigerate only long enough to thicken to spreadable consistency, so it will form thick layer between 2 cookies.
- It can be reheated, if necessary, by placing bowl in warm water and stirring until smooth.