Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is adapted from a low glycemic cookbook I borrowed from the library. The peanut butter, chocolate chips and buttermilk help to make this a moist, decadent cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 10" bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder and soda and salt.
- In an electric mixing bowl, beat together the peanut butter & butter for 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, egg whites and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the mini chocolate chips on low. Then continue on low and add the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk until incorporated.
- Scrape batter into bundt pan and spread level.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 mniutes.
- Invert and release from the pan. Slip strips of paper under cake to prepare for glazing.
- Glaze: In a small bowl, stir together the glaze ingredients. Add a little more water if it is not thin enough. Drizzle glaze over the cake using a spoon.
- Remove paper, cut and serve.