Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
Peach Whirligigs are basically homemade cinnamon rolls baked with a delicious peach sauce. They are easy to put together and will impress your company for sure. If fresh peaches aren't available, substitute apples...they're just as delicious as the peaches!
- 5 large fresh peaches, peeled pitted and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, combine peaches, water, 1 ½ cups sugar and cornstarch.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Boil for one minute, then reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- In a large bowl, stir together baking mix, 2 tablespoons sugar, melted margarine and milk to form a soft dough.
- Remove to floured surface and knead 8 to 10 times.
- Roll out into a 9 inch square.
- Spread softened margarine over dough.
- Combine ¼ cup sugar with cinnamon, and sprinkle mixture over dough.
- Roll dough into a log shape and cut into 6—1 ½ inch slices.
- Pour hot peach mixture into an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Place roll slices, cut side up, on top of peach mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- Serve warm and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.