Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Yeah, it's a pie and it's a casserole, and it's neither one, but it certainly is a rich and tasty treat! Preparation time does not include the time it takes to cool down.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (29 ounce) can peaches, sliced, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can plums, drained, pitted, quartered
- 1 (16 ounce) can pear halves, drained, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, halved
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (again)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small container, mix cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of syrup from the peaches.
- In a large bowl, combine cornstarch mixture, peaches, plums, pears, maraschino cherries, almonds, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour into a shallow 2-1/2 quart casserole.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the cold shortening until mixture is coarse; stir in the sour cream until blended.
- On a floured surface, toss the dough lightly to coat with flour.
- Knead/roll the dough 8-10 times with a floured rolling pin.
- Roll it carefully into a 1/2" thick shape slightly smaller than the casserole, trimming the edges if necessary.
- Cut a 2" circle in the center or use a small cookie cutter to cut a decorative design or two near the center.
- Carefully place this pastry dough on top of the fruit mixture, with the edge of the dough NOT touching the sides of the baking dish.
- Brush top lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake about 40 to 45 minutes or until the pastry is a dark golden brown.
- Cool at least 25 minutes before serving.