Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From: "The Art of South American Cookery" by Myra Waldo, 1961ed. Posted for Zaar World Tour 4.
- 473.18 ml dried split peas
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2129.31 ml water
- 453.59 g package frozen chopped spinach
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 354.88 ml onions, chopped
- 236.59 ml tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1.23-4.92 ml dried basil
- 29.58 ml parsley, minced
- 4.92-9.85 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped (optional)
- Wash the split peas.
- In a large pot combine the peas, sliced onion, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the spinach and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, or until the peas are tender.
- Puree in a blender or use an immersion blender in the pot.
- Heat the oil in a skillet; saute the chopped onions until browned.
- Add the toamtoes, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with chopped eggs on top, if desired.
Yummy soup. I used canned diced tomatoes and skipped the parsley. I also didn't blend the soup and instead diced the veggies smal land cooked the soup longer (about 45 min). I loved the flavor. I also liked the spinach pea combo. Made for ZWT4 Tastebud Tickling Travellers.