Recipe by Michelle S.
This is a casserole I have been making since high school. I worked in the kitchen of the local hospital and this was something they served the employees in the cafeteria. It was a great base that I have "spiced" up and added additional vegetables to over the years. You may layer as much as you like...add water chestnuts, mushrooms whatever your heart desires. I just prefer to keep it simple. Over rice it's a great fast meal.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- soy sauce
- 4 stalks celery, cut diagonally
- 2 (6 ounce) packages frozen pea pods, thawed
- 1 large red peppers or 1 large green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package chow mein noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground chuck with onion,1/2 t.
- garlic powder, ginger and soy sauce to taste.
- Drain well.
- Place meat mixture in a 13x9 pan.
- Place celery over meat mixture.
- Place pepper strips over celery.
- Place pea pods over pepper strips.
- Mix the soup, 1 T.
- soy sauce, 1 t.
- garlic powder and milk.
- Blend well.
- Pour evenly over meat and vegetables.
- Bake in over for 40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Evenly place chow mein noodles over casserole and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with freshly steamed rice and soy sauce to pass.