Recipe by Muchmom
This recipe is a variation on 'pasta al forno', or baked pasta. Prepare it ahead of time, refrigerate, and bake just before serving. You can use any pizza toppings you wish!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (900 g) package penne or 1 (900 g) package rigatoni pasta
- 300 g of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 -2 sliced sweet pepper
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced olive
- 1 cup sliced pepperoni
- 6 slices bacon (optional) or 6 slices ham (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare tomato sauce by sautéing onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Let simmer one hour.
- Add a small amount of water if it gets too thick.
- Spread a thin coating of olive oil in large baking pan.
- Spoon in some tomato sauce.
- Cook your pasta and drain it.
- Pour it into the pan.
- Toss with olive oil and a little sauce.
- At this point, you can add some extra chili pepper and chopped garlic, as much as you like!
- Cover the pasta in a generous layer of sauce, then cheese.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Kids love this- enjoy it!