Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tasty little morsels from a collection of Paula Deen's recipes featured in the Nov 09 issue of Good Housekeeping. Cheese straws must have been the inspiration for Cheez-Its (which I happen to love). These are cheesy, buttery, and delicious. A nice savory little treat, and very simple. Prep time does NOT include time needed to bring cheese to room temperature.
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup softened butter
- 7 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, beat butter and cheese until well blended at medium speed.
- Add flour and cayenne pepper, and beat in well, for 5 minutes, or until VERY creamy.
- Put mixture into pastry bag or cookie press that is fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe 5-inch long strips about 1-inch apart from each other onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake ONE COOKIE SHEET AT A TIME, 18-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Put the pastry bag/cookie press into the fridge or freezer while each tray is cooking. Otherwise, the butter and cheese gets too soft, and you get cheese "crackers" instead of straws!
- Cool each tray for 5 minutes, (I prepare the next tray while they are cooling) then move the cooled straws to a wire rack.
- Keeps well in air-tight containers.