1 hr 15 mins
Lightly Toasted's Note:
Tasty little morsels from a collection of Paula Deen's recipes featured in the Nov 09 issue of Good Housekeeping. Cheese straws must have been the inspiration for Cheez-Its (which I happen to love). These are cheesy, buttery, and delicious. A nice savory little treat, and very simple. Prep time does NOT include time needed to bring cheese to room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In large bowl, beat butter and cheese until well blended at medium speed.
- 3Add flour and cayenne pepper, and beat in well, for 5 minutes, or until VERY creamy.
- 4Put mixture into pastry bag or cookie press that is fitted with a star tip.
- 5Pipe 5-inch long strips about 1-inch apart from each other onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 6Bake ONE COOKIE SHEET AT A TIME, 18-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- 7Put the pastry bag/cookie press into the fridge or freezer while each tray is cooking. Otherwise, the butter and cheese gets too soft, and you get cheese "crackers" instead of straws!
- 8Cool each tray for 5 minutes, (I prepare the next tray while they are cooling) then move the cooled straws to a wire rack.
- 9Keeps well in air-tight containers.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paula Deen's Cheese Straws
Serving Size: 1 (14 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.0
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 29.0 mg
- Sodium 238.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.1 g