Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
My Aunt Pat who lived in New York used to run an Italian Deli business. This is one of her simple recipes.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ounces bread, day old
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 lb tomatoes, canned
- 1 dash fresh basil leaves or 1 dash fresh spinach leaves
- Put olive oil in a soup pot and add crushed garlic and bread.
- Saute bread until golden.
- Add beef broth and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer an additional 40 minutes.
- Just before serving, add fresh basil leaves or spinach leaves.
- Cooking time is approximate.
A simple and very filling tomato soup. I made the full quantity and the DM and I had it for lunch. The one aspect I wasn't keen on but which the DM loved was the big chunks of soft bread (I would have preferred crunchy croutons) but a lot of the bread had broken down giving it its thick texture. I used fresh basil leaves and half a small wholemeal baquette cut into large cubes (next time I would cut some smaller so they break down more. Thank you TraceyMay, made for Recipe Swap #44 September 2010.
I made the soup as directed and it was basically good, The pot reduced to four servings and DH enjoyed his but I didn't care for the tangy taste as it was such a contrast to the tomato cream soups we're used to! When the GD came home from school and had her bowl she was as iffy as I had been. I'll have to make this a few times more to give it an honest rating, so please understand that for now, I'm not adding a stars to my review. Made for RS#44.