Recipe by JMUPatrick
According to folklore, eating lentils helps to bring wealth and prosperity in the new year. This chili is a twist on an old favorite, perfect for a cold winter's night!
- 1 lb dry lentils
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely diced
- 3 sprigs cilantro, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken stock
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix or 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packetabout 3 tbs. chili powder
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and cilantro. Cover and allow to sweat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock and lentils. Cover and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add chili seasoning, a sprinkle of crushed pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, a sprinkle of green scallions and a dollop of sour cream, or whatever you usually enjoy on your chili. Bon appetit!