1/1 Photo of Pat-In-The-Pan Pie Crust
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From "Cook's Country from America's Test Kitchen," episode 107, "Easy As Pie." The secret to preserve flakiness (based on rugelach dough) is cream cheese. The cream cheese makes the dough dense enough not to need a filler while blind baking, so no pie weights needed!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a stand mixer (or a large bowl with an electric hand beater), cream together cream cheese and butter on medium-high for 2 minutes until fully combined. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- 2Whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Add to mixer bowl and stir on medium-low until until it resembles corn meal, then on medium-high until it all sticks together. Remove 3 tbsp of dough and reserve.
- 3Flour workbench lightly. Turn dough out onto floured board. Knead lightly until well-combined. Pat out into a 6" circle, and transfer to a greased 9" pie plate. Using heel of hand, press dough out to sides of pan. Using fingertips, push dough smooth and even, working it up the sides of the pan.
- 4Roll out reserved dough into a rope about 12" long (use a ruler!). Cut into three 4" lengths, then roll each piece out to 8" long. Lay the 3 ropes along the upper edge of the pie pan, pressing lightly into the dough already in the pan. Flute the edge as you would a rolled crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (Dough can be held up to 2 days in the refrigerator, or 1 month in the freezer if double wrapped.).
- 5Prick the bottom of the dough all over with a fork (try not to go all the way through to the pan, or the filling might leak). Bake in preheated 325°F oven for about 35 minutes until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pat-In-The-Pan Pie Crust
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1683.2
- Calories from Fat 1025
- Total Fat 113.9 g
- Saturated Fat 71.3 g
- Cholesterol 308.0 mg
- Sodium 1410.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 146.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 21.4 g